My Thoughts Are My Own

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

...impressive.........most impressive

I just finished watching the new Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. As one who read the books, I was excited and thrilled to watch it, and busted a gut enjoying it. But it was a fine example of how Hollywood can take a good idea and twist it to its own grand designs. Added scenes, happier ending, and the punchlines to great jokes that were omitted to fit a two hour time frame. But that's fine with me, it's a fact of reality. My favorite part was putting in bits from the original BBC movie that most people wouldn't notice. If you'd like to know I'll tell you:
  1. The song that plays when the Hitchhiker's Guide is flying through space near the beginning.
  2. The silver robot on Vogsphere was the original Marvin the Depressed Robot.
  3. The holographic recording that appears on Magrathea was the original Arthur Dent.
I betcha a zillion space credits that there were more, but that's all I saw....this time. I'd recommend it to all ya'lls. For those who have read the books and are purists and can't handle when Hollywood hacks up a good book, don't see it. You'll only make yourself angry.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:51 p.m., Blogger Blogger21 said…

    Wow you are so lucky! I'm just dying to watch the new movie, but unless I drive out of town to see it I'll have to wait at least two months before our "theatre" will get it.

    But I was warned that there were a lot of changes from the book, but from what I heard, DNA was the one who wrote the script as he was working on the movie when he died. So, while I might be tempted to be disappointed by the changes I see, I'll know that the author put them there, and learn to love it!

     
  • At 3:49 p.m., Blogger Dr James Orin Incandenza said…

    I read the book several years ago and enjoyed it so much that I'm afraid ot go to the theater... The BBC version was epic!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home