My Thoughts Are My Own

Monday, May 16, 2005

...I thought this was a finely tuned machine...

I used to work at Home Depot. But school this last winter was going to be way too hectic, which was a good excuse for someone who doesn't like to work. So I quit, but in their "Eligible for Rehire" category, they put me in the YES column, which was very nice. Then I returned to the Home Depot two weeks ago to reapply for my job. For two weeks, I never heard from them. And I have Caller ID. They never called.

Then Friday, a supervisor from Home Depot called me. I wasn't around, and they left the message, "Stu, this is Home Depot. We were wondering if you could cover a shift for us from 9am-6pm." I couldn't. I had prior engagements, but it's good rapport to call them and let them know you can't do it if indeed you can't. So I did. I explained the situation to them. They understood. The supervisor pauses in the conversation a moment. She says to me, "Has anyone called you yet?"

I say, "No, this is the first call I got."

The supervisor then says, "Oh! Well do you know that you work on Sunday?"

I say "No! I didn't. What time?"

"3:30 to 8:30," she informs me.

"Well I can't work that! I have rehearsal at 7pm," I reply. She tells me to come in on Saturday to get this all straightened out.

I couldn't believe it! They rehired me, which was great, but neglected to tell me. They put me back on the schedule, and I had no idea. If they hadn't needed me to take a shift, or if I had decided not to bother calling them, I would have never shown up for work. They would have been short workers, and probably would have looked like idiots.

Oh well. Everyone at work now knows it, and you do too. Home Depot is run by idiots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home